The Society's Essentials seminar is a comprehensive program focusing on the fundamentals of corporate governance and the role of the Corporate Secretary. The program is designed for all governance professionals, providing practical advice on conducting the responsibilities of the Corporate Secretary's office at public and private companies. Essentials will provide you with a solid framework, practical tips and up-to-date information - the tools you need to get the job done!
An experienced faculty comprised of senior members of the Society and other experts will offer practical solutions and advice on how to handle the varied responsibilities of the Corporate Secretary's office. In addition to practical instruction, seminar attendees will receive:
- Comprehensive Essentials materials, including handouts containing sample documents, checklists, policies, and other useful information
- The opportunity to meet and learn from faculty members who are experienced practitioners
- The opportunity to network with fellow attendees with similar responsibilities and challenges in a collegial, non-competitive, educational setting
Essentials topics include:
- Fundamentals of corporate governance
- Internal sources of and limits on governance authority
- Board of Directors: responsibilities, structure and process
- Best practices in board and committee meetings
- Board materials preparation
- Corporate Entity Management
- Records management and privacy issues
- Writing minutes
- Creating and staffing the Office of the Corporate Secretary/Corporate Governance
- Enterprise Risk Management
- Regulation and Disclosure for Public Companies
- Private company boards, governance & compliance
- Annual Shareholder Meeting
- Shareholder Engagement
- Society member - $1,165
- Nonmember - $1,265
- Society member at Nonprofit - $990
- Nonmember at Nonprofit - $1,090
- Society member - $895
- Nonmember - $995
- Society member at nonprofit - $745
- Nonmember at Nonprofit - $845
Special Membership Offer: If you are a nonmember registering for Essentials, join the Society for $350 for the first year. When registering online, click on the special membership offer button and the amount will be added to your registration fee.
Continuting Legal Education Credits: Many states regularly approve continuing legal education credits for attendees of Society programs. The Society will apply for CLE accreditation to the states requested on registration forms. Please be advised that CLE approval notices are not always received prior to the conference. Contact Khalilah Abdur-Rashid if you have any questions.
Accommodations: Registrants are responsible for making their own hotel reservations. The Society has reserved a block of rooms at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort in Orlando, Florida at the special group rate of $235 single or double. The discounted room rate is available until Tuesday, January 5, 2016 or until the room block is sold out. To ensure you are able to book at the discounted rate, please make your reservations early. After January 5, any unsold rooms in the block will return to the hotel for normal sale, and reservations will be accepted only as long as rooms are available, and possibly at a higher rate. For those who wish to extend their stay in Orlando, the hotel will honor this special rate three days before and three days after the seminar, subject to availability. To make a reservation, call 407-939-4686 and mention the Society's Essentials seminar or reserve online.
Theme Park Ticket Discounts: Specially priced them park ticket discounts are available for attendees by calling 407-566-5600 and refer to Essentials 2016. Offer expires January 25, 2016.
Disney's Magical Express: As a Disney resort hotel guest, you are invited to take advantage of Disney's Magical Express Service providing complimentary luggage and transportation service between Orlando International Airport and your Disney hotel. Reservations are required for this service, and your Disney room reservation confirmation and flight information must be provided. For information and reservations call 407-827-6777.